[LAU] LightWorks for Linux Demo

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Mar 18 10:49:41 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-03-18 at 23:22 +1300, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 11:12:21AM +0400, Louigi Verona wrote:
> > Yet, when I ask - how do I make Xubuntu to autologin my user instead of
> > asking for a password every time, you know what I am told?
>
> Is security not a concern in your eyes?

I use the password login, because I want to have it for minimal security
and I don't need more than this, but for serious security just having a
password login is absurd.

Encryption OTOH is very annoying, if you share mail directories,
virtualbox settings and vdis by several different Linux on a multi-boot
machine or even if you only wish to be able to easily access everything
under what conditions ever.

I don't need real security, just a minor protection. However, only
idiots or very young children would be unable to access what ever they
want, when the only protection is a password login and the default
usually is nothing more but a password login without any further
protection.

I remember that in a German forum the moderation deleted howtos that
described what users should do, if they should have forgotten their
password for a non-encrypted install. It's idiotic to delete the howtos.
Ok, it's also idiotic to forget the password, but OTOH some GUIs asking
for a password enforce the user to use complicated passwords, instead of
a password they wish to use. Why using a very secure password, when
already the method of protection isn't secure?

For some of my Linux I even allow to start a DE session as root. I never
use it, just in case there should be a valid reason to do it, while I
can't imagine one at the moment. However, this would be the other way,
if everything should have a GUI for the configuration, than we directly
could allow to start X sessions as root or at least to start file
browsers for (the first or all) user/s by gksu or similar.

--
Oskar Sala - Elektronische Impressionen Nr. 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJoRIlb6kTs