[LAU] LightWorks for Linux Demo

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Mar 18 14:03:15 UTC 2013

On Monday 18 March 2013 09:35:42 Louigi Verona did opine:

> Security from who?
> My laptop sits on a table in my house. Unless a thief breaks in, I doubt
> there is
> any danger.
>
> Also, I am not against security. I am for making it easier to work with
> the system.
> Having a clear option to turn auto login on or off has nothing to do
> with security per se.

Your laptop connects to the internet, right?  Its been said many times that
the average life of a winblows machine connected directly to the net via
the wifi port on your modem, is between 5 to 20 minutes until its been
hacked and 'powned' as they say.

I get enough spam that if it were edible, my family would all weigh 350 lbs
each.  The more obnoxious stuff gets a kill at my isp based on the 1st 3
octets of the source address.  That means I never again see the output of
that particular xx.xx.xx.256 again.

So go ahead, bypass anything that looks like a hard to guess password, but
when 30 minutes later your machine is blasting the world with assorted spam
and phishing emails that I will eventually consign to the black hole of my
ISP's equivalent to /dev/null, don't say you weren't advised.

Today, java has been hacked so many times its recommended that your browser
disables any knowledge that there is even a java installed.  Some folks are
removing it completely.

Its been said that the universe has unlimited quantities of both hydrogen
and stupidity.  But I think hydrogen may not be unlimited.

Today, passwords of less than 15 characters are crackable in an hour or so.
Think about that...

Louigi, your presence on this list is normally both educational, and to the
point, and I'm sure is appreciated by all here, I know I do.  That is why I
am rather surprised to see you espousing near zero security.