[LAU] Autologin to locked desktop was: Re: LightWorks for Linux Demo

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Mon Mar 18 19:03:38 UTC 2013

On Mon, March 18, 2013 11:41 am, david wrote:

> Sounds like a silly lot of hoop-jumping just to save yourself from
> typing in your login ID.

As one user said, it is worth while in a production environment where in
the event of a power out, the system can restore itself to running on
power restore even unattended and when some of those apps are GUI apps run
after an X login. The immediate lock still requires typing a password and
most DMs default to the last used id anyway. So no typing is saved at all
anyway... that was not the point of the exercise in the first place.

Having done a little support work on IRC, I have learned that nobody else
works the way that makes sense to me. Some times I help them do it the
wrong way and find out later that it makes really good sense for their
particular use.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net