[LAU] Autologin to locked desktop was: Re: LightWorks for Linux Demo

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Tue Mar 19 14:07:28 UTC 2013

On Monday 18 March 2013 14:41:05 david wrote:
> On 03/18/2013 05:20 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Mon, 2013-03-18 at 10:37 -0400, drew Roberts wrote:
> >> Perhaps what would be nice for some is to autologin a particular user
> >> and go straight to a locked desktop with a screensaver.
> >>
> >> Does anyone know how to do this or the equivalent?
> >
> > By not using a display manager for login, but by starting Xfce
> > by .xinitrc directly or what needs to be used to start it + screensaver,
> > e.g. gdmflexiserver or xscreensaver-command -lock or similar, I won't
> > make inquires now, but there for sure is a way to do it.
>
> Sounds like a silly lot of hoop-jumping just to save yourself from
> typing in your login ID.

And dead air is better? There are situations where a machine needs to start
back up and go properly into operation after a reboot without a person being
present. If your situation does not call for that, fine. Some people deal
with situations where such a feature is valuable. Why should they not explore
the best way to do what needs to be done? It has nothing to do with saving
keystrokes. It has to do with no one being present to make those keystrokes.

all the best,

drew