[LAU] State of Linux - was - LightWorks for Linux Demo

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Mar 20 15:56:21 UTC 2013

There hardly will be a generic Linux that does provide a platform
comparable to Apple and Microsoft platforms.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not whining about the energy saving mode issue
for external drives, for me it is solved, but IMO it's a very good
example for what's wrong with Linux, regarding to be a reliable platform
for proprietary software and hardware.

If by EU Regulation it's forced to turn external drives into sleeping
mode when being idle for a while, than it's a violation of this EU
Regulation, to wake it up for no reason.

The hardware vendors can't do anything against it, but to say that those
drives are for Windows and Mac OS and not for Linux, that's what they
are doing.

The argumentation of at least one person subscribed to Thunar devel,
that the EU isn't the whole world or that it's something the hardware
vendors have to solve is completely ignorant. The claim that a user
should fix the source or pay somebody to do it is ridiculous. You even
can't expect that an averaged user is comfortable with my solution,
simply to mount plug and play block devices by CLI.

Btw. I'm no longer interested to report bugs upstream to projects such
as desktop environments. I'm only willing to report bugs to e.g. audio
projects. If you report something to those big projects yoearn nothing
but scorn.

Note that gvfs is for GNOME.

If you want to use Linux seriously, then it is for geeks only.

And again, you can use something that proved as jack on Windows, Mac OS,
iOS, BSD perhaps on other *nix too, but while it's AFAIK a native Linux
app, not on all Linux based platforms.

There's nothing to discuss. Btw. the website of my provider is badly
programmed, I even have issues to download the bill with current Firefox
on what Linux distro ever, of the tons of distros I've got installed and
no other browser can do it, but Firefox is tested with Mac and Windows
by my provider and I know people who don't use Linux and are customers
of the same provider, that don't have issues.

I never got RFID readers working, so you can't use the German ID card
app, useful for business by Internet, even while there are apps packages
for major distros, they can't maintain those Linux versions by all the
grotesque releases each 6 month with tons of bugs.

When the EU is considered as an unimportant minority by developers,
while it's on top of the very high HDI nations, by population size in
2012, then there is no mass market future for Linux.