[LAU] State of Linux - was - LightWorks for Linux Demo

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Mar 20 16:07:21 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-03-20 at 08:29 -0700, Len Ovens wrote:
> On Wed, March 20, 2013 8:07 am, Len Ovens wrote:
>
> > Speaking of which. Where is ALSA at? Where is firewire support? or
> > bluetooth support? If there is one area I would like to see more
> > developers that would be it. Jack supports more than ALSA with FW and
> > pulse (much as it is hated) supports BT audio that alsa doesn't.
>
> If there is one place I would like to see those who spend money on Linux
> coders put money into this would be it. I think the HW manufactures might
> be willing to talk to people who are in a business over a "hobbyist". If
> Harrison (for example) went to any of the Audio Interface makers and said
> we would like your IF to work with our product, that would get more
> response than an alsa developer who only talks through email or some user
> saying "why don't you have a linux driver?"
>
> What has happened instead? Pulse has BT support directly. The money/dev
> time has skipped alsa. What can we as musicians do to help here?
>
> PS is Harrison going to release a Mixbus based on A3? They have dropped
> the MB2 prices, but no coming soon messages.

RME for e.g. is willing to talk to ALSA developers to fix the HDSPe AIO
issues, if need be and I would have the abilities, they even are willing
to help me, but they prefer to talk to ALSA developers, but I neither
have the abilities, nor the money to pay somebody, so here we have a
want of coders.

That's the nature of unpayed FLOSS and nobody is to blame for that, most
of us have not the time and money to do it.