[LAU] State of Linux - was - LightWorks for Linux Demo

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Wed Mar 20 18:04:57 UTC 2013

On Wed, March 20, 2013 9:24 am, Dan MacDonald wrote:
>> Speaking of which. Where is ALSA at? Where is firewire support? or
>> bluetooth support? If there is one area I would like to see more
>> developers that would be it. Jack supports more than ALSA with FW and
>> pulse (much as it is hated) supports BT audio that alsa doesn't.
>>

> I don't know about BT. I never use it so I'm not overly bothered about
> ALSA
> BT support but ALSA FireWire support is on its way apparently.

I guess for BT devices, the question becomes are there any good quality BT
headsets. The large majority have got to be celphone quality devices.

> Alex did a good write up on it last summer if you missed it:
>
> http://libregraphicsworld.org/blog/entry/the-state-of-firewire-audio-interfaces-support-on-linux

That explains things pretty clearly all right. The rumors have been all
the way from "it's coming" to "dead in the water". It seems it's coming.
but not any time soon :)

The next question is: While I can find lots of FW audio IFs for sale, I
don't see FW ports on a lot of new motherboards (both desk and lap), Is FW
going away? Are there new FW audio IF still coming out or are all those
ones I see older designs? When will we see USB3 designs? (I know latency
is no better, but there are other reasons it makes sense)

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net