[LAU] 'Modular' midi controller for keyboard

Q lists at quirq.ukfsn.org
Thu Mar 21 16:57:29 UTC 2013

On 21/03/13 15:58, rosea.grammostola wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for something which I can use together with my 88keys
> masterkeyb without knobs. It would be nice if it's small and light
> enough to put on my keyboard itself. Something like the evolution uc-16,
> but it would be nice if I could route my midi masterkeybd via the
> controller to the computer (midi in / midi out / midi thru (?).
>
> I like to control stuff like setBfree and some effects in Non-Mixer
> probably.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> \r

I got a Korg nanoKONTROL to control Native Instruments's B4II -- it's
perfect as it has nine channels, each with a knob, fader and two buttons
which is just right for controlling a Hammond's drawbars.

I mapped the buttons to various things like keyclick on and off,
vibrato/chorus on/off etc and knobs to chorus/vibrato settings, keyclick
level etc.

The Nanos sit nicely atop my M-Audio Keystation 88as they are slim and
have little rubber feet so they don't slide around. They don't have
in/out/through though, just midi out over USB.

Korg, in their "wisdom", made the nanoKONTROL2 only eight channels
though. Perhaps that will be sufficient for you, or perhaps you might
find a used one on eBay.

However, I recently came across a copy of the original nanoKONTROL
called the Icon iControls:
http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardware/icon-i-controls-usb-midi-controller-black--96135

Thomann stock other Icon products but don't seem to have that particular
one.