[LAU] OT: what is happening with RT kernel development?

Thu Mar 21 17:14:01 UTC 2013

On 03/21/2013 08:28 AM, Chris Caudle wrote:
> Can someone who keeps up with RT development help me find up to date
> information?
> There do not seem to be any RT patches for 3.8 in the usual place (which
> as far as I know is still
> https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/ ).

The latest version of the patch is 3.6.11-rt30 (and the previous one is
3.4.33-rt47). No patches for 3.8.x have been announced or posted AFAIK.
We'll have to be patient...

https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt is the right place
to look for patches...

> I found a message from Fernando several months back mentioning that there
> was some kind of NFS bug in the 3.6-RT kernel, which is why CCRMA kernels
> are still based on 3.4, but despite searching lkml.org with various words
> and phrases, I have not been able to piece together any coherent
> information on the current state of 3.6 RT kernels, and why there is yet
> no 3.8 patch set.

There is a mailing list for the rt patches here:
linux-rt-users at vger.kernel.org
http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-rt-users

That is where announcements usually go (new versions, patches, etc).

> Is this just a case of the RT development community being rather small, so
> no one sees a need to make an announcement to LKML that 3.8-RT has some
> problems, so don't expect an RT release very soon after the mainline 3.8
> release?  Or am I just looking in the wrong places for information?

You are looking at the right places (except for the linux-rt-users list
which you don't mention). It takes time, I don't know what is holding up
the 3.8.x patches if anything.

BTW, the NFS bug is very specific for the usage I need, but other than
that it seems to perform perfectly in my limited tests.

-- Fernando