[LAU] 'Modular' midi controller for keyboard

Q lists at quirq.ukfsn.org
Thu Mar 21 21:47:03 UTC 2013

On 21/03/13 21:03, rosea.grammostola wrote:
> Man you can put tension in a email, ha :)
>
> Ok let me free you from your questions. The question about the midi thru
> is because of the cables, I rather want one cable trying to tackle me,
> than two.
>
> The format of the NanoKontol is not bad, but is this a real controller
> or a toy? How are the knobs and how stable is the device (someone told
> that it is stable on a keybd).
>
> And how much extra latency gives such a converter cable compared to midi
> out to midi in?
>
> What are other (low budget) alternatives?

Yes, it's small, plastic and (relatively) cheap. But it's made by Korg
-- it isn't a toy. Yes the faders are unpowered, but you don't need that
for controlling a Hammond sim, the knobs and buttons are a little wobbly
but not excessively so. Certainly no worse than you'd get on a full-size
controller keyboard.

I can see they might not stand up to being gigged a lot, chucked in bags
and bashed around.

If what you're controlling doesn't have midi learn you'll need to run
the editor software in WINE to change the assignments.

Review of the original Kontrol:
http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2008/12/22/sonic-lab-korg-nanokontrol-controller/

You're not going to get midi in/out/through on something so small. I've
only ever seen in/out/through on DIN which is far too big to fit into
something that size -- I guess that's why they went for a mini-USB
socket rather than standard size.