[LAU] Poll - Was: Hey everyone, a simple question.

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Mar 22 00:21:45 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-03-21 at 17:11 -0700, Len Ovens wrote:
> On Thu, March 21, 2013 4:43 pm, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> > Modern computers can do things old computers can't do, but the old
> > computers had some advantages, e.g. no layers to the hardware, so harder
> > real-time for MIDI.
>
> That was one of the things with the Atari Megas. The midi timing was very
> good. Stable, no delay. The best audio IF I got for it was 12bit.

I still own a Pseudo-Mega, it's a 520 ST enlarged with old PC RAM to
4MB, just the blitter is missing and it's quasi impossible to add a
blitter, but without blitter there only is a minor performance issue for
the display, MIDI always is hard real-time, but without blitter the
graphic for the timeline sometimes is slower. While for the C64 there
still were some issues, I never have seen a sequencer that can compete
with the latest version of Cubase on STs. Just avoid STEs and for the
520 ST it can't harm to replace the TOS ROMs with EPROMs of another
version, have forgotten what version, but I replaced the original TOS by
another version.