[LAU] Kazam screencast [WAS: LightWorks for Linux Demo]

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Mar 24 02:39:02 UTC 2013

On 03/23/2013 05:17 AM, Len Ovens wrote:

> On Fri, March 22, 2013 10:51 pm, david wrote:
>
>> Need to correct a miscommunication (my fault). I don't use Ubuntu system
>> repositories. I use some specific Ubuntu PPAs for particular package(s)
>> that don't have a Debian package (for whatever reason). (Some people
>> seem to think that Linux is just a synonym for Ubuntu. So I'm not
>> risking mixing Ubuntu-specific stuff mentioned above with Debian Sid.
>
> I think what I wrote was not so much directed at you so much as the newer
> user reading this stuff.

Doesn't fit me. I was cleaning out accumulated books, and found my old
CorelLinux books ...

> As someone who tries to help people fix things
> after the fact, I have seen some interesting installations where jack goes
> away or something.

I think a number of the easy-start/easy-use, ordinary desktop-oriented
distros don't even include JACK. My wife runs LinuxMint on her laptop
and Ubuntu on her netbook - no trace of JACK on either. I think Ubuntu
is built around Pulse, anyway. I don't think Debian comes with JACK
setup, either.

My laptop and desktop machines run Aptosid - neither comes with JACK
installed by default. My effectsbox laptop runs Musix 3, that has JACK
nicely set up. When my present laptop finally dies (it's heading that
direction!), I'll shift the memory over to effectsbox and it will
finally have enough to be useful. (Hard to run RT with a GUI and
fluidsynth and Yoshimi on a 2.8GHz old-school Celeron with 768MB of memory.)

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community