[LAU] Trying to run jackd from udev

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Sun Mar 24 12:47:28 UTC 2013

On 03/23/2013 03:03 PM, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> On 03/23/2013 02:52 PM, drew Roberts wrote:
>> Just as a test, can you simply sudo to bash and then do things by hand
>> to see
>> if anything there fails? Or did I miss you already trying that?
>
> This works.
> I think it's PAM related. I'll muck around the PAM config files.

it is. edit /etc/pam.d/su and make sure there's a line:

session    required   pam_limits.so

on debian it's commented out by default. and su does not set/unset limit
required for RT operation.

As for starting jack from udev. I just run 'dbus-triggerd' [1] as user.
No pam-hacking required :)  dbus-triggerd triggers shell-commands when
something happens on dbus (e.g. audio-device connected/disconnected). An
example how to put it all together is:
http://gareus.org/blog/jack2dbus

best,
robin