[LAU] How to turn off hyperthreading?

Jostein Chr. Andersen jostein at vait.se
Mon Mar 25 20:39:33 UTC 2013

On 03/25/2013 08:06 PM, david wrote:
> The laptop I'm considering (Zareason Verix 530) as replacement for my
> current one has a dual-core Intel i3 processor with hyperthreading.
> Zareason says there's no way to turn off HT in BIOS.
>
> I think folk on the list have said that HT causes problems with RT. So
> how can I disable hyperthreading?

I can do like this in my Kubuntu system which have 8 kernels:

sudo echo 0 > /sys/devices/system/node/node0/cpu0/online
sudo echo 0 > /sys/devices/system/node/node0/cpu2/online
.
.
sudo echo 0 > /sys/devices/system/node/node0/cpu7/online

To my surprise, they are enabled (value 1) in my system, I thought that
hyperthreading was disabled in my BIOS. That might explain why I have
xruns earlier than expected on my system. I'm glad you asked about this
in the forum. :-)

Jostein