[LAU] Console tools for linux audio and other things

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Thu Mar 28 14:45:20 UTC 2013

On Thu, March 28, 2013 5:24 am, Egor Sanin wrote:

> Sure, but I think Julien knows much more than I do.  This is just for
> music making:
>
> sox: lots of wonderful uses
> ecasound: recording/mixing/effects
> a2jmidid: interoperability of alsa and jack midi
> aj-snapshot: connection manager
> esjit: another connection manager, for quick and dirty patching
> mididings: awesome midi handler (use midi for pretty much ANYTHING)
> meterec: a simplistic multitrack recorder, used mostly for it's
> console level meter
> jackctlmmc: drive jack transport with mmc messages
> midish: really low-level hardcore midi sequencer
> fluidsynth: you know this one (minus the qt interface)
> linuxsampler: I really seldom use this
> supercollider: again, sans gui (scvim styles)
> sooperlooper: i just love client/server implementations
> alsa utilities: aseqdump and friends
> python, bash, ncurses, pyliblo, tmux, vim: scripting delight

Nice list, I'll copy that text somewhere.

> and of course jack is a given.

Jack_control is very handy and the whole jack-tools package has nice
stuff. On the console type jack<tab><tab> and you should see a list of
command line utilities to do with jack. Actually this is a trick that
works with many things... The jack_* stuff comes with jackd and the jack.*
stuff is from jack-tools.

For more info about any of these programs use man program_name or if there
is none then program_name --help will give enough info to get you going.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net