[LAU] What is the best MP3 encoder?

Brett McCoy idragosani at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 15:23:41 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 11:10 AM, Jostein Chr. Andersen <jostein at vait.se> wrote:

> I'm using Mixbus (Ardour) for exporting the wav files to 16-bit waves and
> Audacity for converting the file to a MP3. If I upload a lossless file to
> soundcloud, then the same problem comes there when Soundcloud converts it to
> it's player.

I'd start with lame and see how that works for you. I've had good
results with it. I do 24/44.1 or 24/28 usually.

For Soundcloud, I always upload a WAV rather than an MP3, as
soundcloud will re-encode anyway to their lower quality standard
(although you can still allow downloading of the original WAV). I've
had problems with Soundcloud's encoder... artifacts are especially
noticable on high frequency instruments like woodwinds. Stuff encoded
with lame sounds great when I play on my machine (almost
indistinguishable from the original WAV), but after uploading the same
WAV to Soundcloud, it can sound pretty awful sometimes after encoding.
Soundcloud's default encoding is inferior to the standard preset for
lame, IMHO.

--
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com