[LAU] What is the best MP3 encoder?

Brett McCoy idragosani at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 16:01:13 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 11:35 AM, Jostein Chr. Andersen <jostein at vait.se> wrote:

> I always upload flac files to Soundcload, but wonders if I upload a high
> quality MP3, then maybe they will leave it untouched and use the uploaded
> one? I can imagine that many people uploads MP3 files, but it should sound
> terrible if they reconvert them also, or maybe they do?

Soundcloud will encode to their own standard, which I think is
128kbps. They even have this disclaimer:

"Sometimes our transcoding system can create audio artifacts, as we
transcode all tracks to 128 kbps mp3 for streaming playback. Uploading
a lossless or high-quality lossy file will usually reduce these to a
minimum, but unfortunately there's not much we can do for the handful
of individual tracks that are still affected."

--
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com