[LAU] What is the best MP3 encoder?

Jostein Chr. Andersen jostein at vait.se
Thu Mar 28 17:31:24 UTC 2013

On 03/28/2013 05:48 PM, Raffaele Morelli wrote:
> 2013/3/28 Jostein Chr. Andersen <jostein at vait.se>:
>> On 03/28/2013 04:43 PM, Raffaele Morelli wrote:
..
> --preset insane is a "shortcut" to for 320Kbps and that's the best for
> mp3 encoding (max bitrate an mp3 can achieve) BTW this result in a
> compression ratio of ~1:10 with respect to wav file... so lossy, but
> that's mp3

Yes, it's the same as Audacity do via Lame.

> Try sampling at 48Khz or switch to ogg, max bitrate is ~500Kbps

Ogg is at the moment not an option when it comes shipping to artists,
producers and other people in the music business, for this, MP3s and
waves are the standard - and gladly enough: Flac seem to be more and
more popular. Personally: I always use Ogg or Flac in my hw/sw music
players.

48Khz will not help at all when it comes to artifacts and the raw
material is usually in 44.1 (and sometimes in 96 or 192) anyway.
Speaking about bitrates higher than what the human ear can hear, here is
some cool info about high bit rates:

J.