[LAU] Problem uploading sysex data to hardware synth

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Fri May 3 08:22:20 UTC 2013

Julien Claassen wrote:
> what is so special about amidi? I mean: what is the difference between
> it playing a pure sysex file and aplaymidi playing the sysex block
> from a MIDI file?

.mid files contain timing information for each message; aplaymidi
schedules each message to be sent at the specified time.  If the MIDI
port's buffer has not enough free space for the message, there is
nowhere else to store it, so it gets dropped.

amidi accesses the MIDI port as a dumb serial pipe.  There is not timing
information in .syx files, so amidi sends the data as fast as possible,
but when the buffer is full, amidi will wait.

> Is there a commandline tool to dump sysex like that, using the ALSA
> sequencer system, by any chance?

That "virtual" port you can create with amidi _is_ using the ALSA
sequencer system.

Regards,
Clemens