[LAU] PCIe cards weak?

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat May 11 17:13:50 UTC 2013

This is the first time I have seen this warning:

"Due to the reduced length of the PCI EXPRESS bus connector and the
resulting lack of mechanical stability, we strongly advise against
transporting cards installed in a computer, unless its chassis or case
provides a dedicated support to keep the card securely in place in order
to avoid physical damage."

I found this in the digigram manual for one of their audio cards. (these
might be audio cards to watch as ALSA support is growing. The LOLA series
is now supported)

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has had problems with this. It seems to
me there might be any number of mobile uses in audio work. Maybe the days
of the tower cases are over.

Speaking of PCIe audio cards, has anyone used the Audio Science audio
cards? Have comments? The company actively develops linux audio drivers
which are included in kernel source (must GPL?) Or the user can download
the latest source from their web site. They have up to 16 i/o per card and
support up to 4 cards in a system.

They seem a bit pricey for me, then I can't afford the audio interface I
have now any more... special needs kids are expensive. But compared to
other cards they don't seem over bad.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net