[LAU] samples/instruments/romplers etc..

James Stone jamesmstone at gmail.com
Mon May 13 21:38:18 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

Just a quick poll of opinion - I'm thinking of buying a cheap rompler -
Roland JV-1080 or Proteus 2000. I kind of think that the things these offer
should be possible with software, but beyond getting some soundfonts, I'm
not really sure if this is true. Problems I see with the purely computer
based approach is all the samples I have found so far (admittedly only
looking at what's available free) is not really anywhere near what is
available in these kind of hardware modules. Sure the size of samples etc.
available now is much larger, but the musicality and tweakability/
synthesis options are not so much there (although possible I guess).

So, am I wrong?

What I would be interested in is:

1) Decent collections of samples (soundfonts or whatever) that are
professional standard (i.e. up to the quality of Roland/Korg/Emu) covering
a variety of "bread and butter" type sounds - orchestral, keyboard, piano,
synth. I am happy to pay for them - but if the overall price goes over
100GBP, I think I am probably better off with the hardware option..
2) Thoughts - soundfonts vs. gigs vs. ? and what software to play them in
Linux? Any samplers that also have synthesis options - resonant filters/
envelopes etc? I guess I know about things like linuxsampler and
fluidsynth, but are there any other more complex options?
3) Lastly - any off topic suggestions about decent hardware ROMplers/
synths - opinions about the JV-1080 vs. Proteus 2000 vs. ? from those who
have used them..

Best wishes,

James