[LAU] samples/instruments/romplers etc..

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon May 13 23:05:48 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-05-13 at 17:42 -0500, Brent Busby wrote:
> If it's from the 80's, the filters will likely even be real analog.

And if one of those CEM chips gets broken you're lost. Even special
chips from the 90s might not be available anymore.

> *  Personality...  I find that even when plugins and virtual instruments
> have been done well, they still seem like vampires without a soul.
> There's nothing like working on real instruments that you have to mic

Yesno, I agree that virtual instruments are weak, but even a "real
synth" directly connected to the sound card does sound very good and the
good synth also don't cause noise.

Some days ago I recorded my Matrix-1000, directly connected to my RME
sound card. This synth makes no audible noise and there absolutely is no
need to use a keyboard amp (I own a KB-300), the sound already is that
much better than all virtual synth, that it simply isn't needed.

The problem with those good synth is, that you likely can't repair them
and since they're old, they tend to get broken. Using external effects,
excepted of reverbs, for me is an issue regarding to the Linux PCs
latency, but I agree that those do also sound much better than virtual
effects.

Btw. never through away old synth that are borked, the day might come,
when you can make one working synth, from two broken synth.