[LAU] samples/instruments/romplers etc..

Brent Busby brent at keycorner.org
Tue May 14 13:04:52 UTC 2013

On Tue, 14 May 2013, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Mon, 2013-05-13 at 17:42 -0500, Brent Busby wrote:
>> If it's from the 80's, the filters will likely even be real analog.
>
> And if one of those CEM chips gets broken you're lost. Even special
> chips from the 90s might not be available anymore.

Oh not lost, just having to find some other hardware to fill the void.
As much as I like classic gear from the 70's and 80's, analog is coming
back!  Moog is alive again!  Dave Smith (formerly of Sequential
Circuits) is back again, though his company is now DSI.  Tom Oberheim is
back too.  We have Arturia making the Minibrute, a real analog synth,
and Elektron now have the Analog Four (an impressive tabletop module).
Awhile back Alesis was making the Andromeda.  There is real analog in
the 21st Century finally...

> The problem with those good synth is, that you likely can't repair
> them and since they're old, they tend to get broken. Using external
> effects, excepted of reverbs, for me is an issue regarding to the
> Linux PCs latency, but I agree that those do also sound much better
> than virtual effects.

If you own these things, I've found you do need to be your own keyboard
tech.  I've learned to calibrate them myself and do all sorts of repairs
I never thought I'd be doing.  It's kind of fun though.

+ Sr. UNIX Systems Admin +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ James Franck Institute +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ Materials Research Ctr +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky