[LAU] Questions about LV2

hermann meyer brummer- at web.de
Tue May 14 22:00:52 UTC 2013

Am 14.05.2013 23:42, schrieb Julien Claassen:
> Hello Hermann!
>   In the end it almost comes down to the same point. At least from my
> point of view. The host might - in theory - have a go at receiving and
> sending such extra messages, but since they are not normed in any way,
> the plugin and its UI can practically do what they want.
>   There are a couple of plugins, that load files (samplv2, zyn, I
> think the IR convolver,...) and they all rely on their GUIs. It seems
> to me, that it's mostly loading and saving of files, that is done
> outside the LV2 plugin ports.
>   So in more general terms, I ask myself: why is that so? Was there no
> room in the specification to allow "sntadardised" transmission of
> strings? It's not an abnormal thing one wants to do? I think there is
> an LV2 version of Guitarix, is there not? Can you load files into
> anything or give names to something? If so, how do you do it?
>   Warm regards
>         Julien

There is a  way to load files and let he host provide a "interface" for
that. convoLV2 <https://github.com/x42/convoLV2>by Robin Gareus provides
a example of how to do it. As I said, it is more a question of
communication, not, of if it is possible. Mostly, plugin developers, as
well as host developers are simply to lazy to keep it in mind that
accessibility plays a rule. What I say, is, it is unfair to give the LV2
standard the blame, for the laziness of developers.
Indeed, there are a couple of guitarix plugs, and they all keep the
communication with the host in mind (eg. they don' t relay on there
custom UI), but to be honest, not a single one of them needs to load a file.

greets
hermann