[LAU] Tonight: Creative Coding Meetup at STEIM, in Amsterdam

Marije Baalman nescivi at gmail.com
Wed May 15 08:23:27 UTC 2013

Creative Coding Lab
DETAILS

DATE: Wednesday, 15 MAY 2013
TIME: 19:00
ENTRY: FREE
LOCATION: STEIM Concert Space, Utrechtsedwarsstraat 134 Amsterdam
http://steim.org/event/creative-music-coding-lab-4/

Please let us know if you plan to come (mail me), so we have a rough
idea who to expect. Also, if you have a cool project to show or coding
questions to ask, let us know so we can put it in the schedule!

*Calling all ChucK’ers, SuperColliders, Max and PureData patchers,
CSounders, Fluxites, Overtoners, and all other
tongues of creative coders. We welcome you to attend the fourth edition
of the Creative Music Coding lab at STEIM.

In the past years STEIM has hosted regular SuperCollider and Max
meet-ups for musicians and sound artists to gather
and share their experiences. This year we have decided to break open
these groups into a new experimentation platform
welcoming all artists who use code as a medium for making music.

Why the change in format? We believe that coding as a fundamental
practice is not necessarily language specific. All
musicians who use code as a medium essentially share a common creative
process, one that favors highly personal,
DIY methods for music making. This being the case, the processes we draw
from and fundamental techniques we use
can be inspiring to all. By sharing our working methods and allowing an
environment for cross-code fluency we will learn
so much more.

The CMC lab is an autonomous zone to try out sonic experiments as a
group. And an opportunity to leverage the
expertise of the group in realizing new artistic tools and processes
through the medium of code. Many of the founding
members of the group are indeed experts in their favorite languages,
but we come from all technical levels of proficiency
and enjoy helping one-another out.

What ARE the goals for the lab?

a place for creative music coders to show work in progress, regardless
of programming language or platform
a place to discuss and question techniques with fellow computer
musicians an informal stage for playing with others, livecoding
sessions, jamming, and other fun experiments
an opportunity to meet like-minded artists, share talents, and start new
collaborations
an opportunity to be exposed to new languages and improve cross-language
fluency
a way to discover lesser known and emerging creative programming
paradigms a place to to discuss interconnections between programming
environments an environment for discussions on cultural contexts
surrounding coding in the arts

We encourage members of the group to use this as a platform for
exploring ways in which we might be able to create
and play together. Proposals for creative group investigations of
hardware, software, and coding as process are
welcome.

As always, entry is free, tea and coffee will be provided.*