[LAU] Google TV device w/ AV out

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Thu May 16 07:09:08 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 16, 2013 11:38 am, Dan MacDonald wrote:
> I asked on this list recently if anyone had come across one of the USB
> pendrive-sized ARM/ Android devices but with a headphone jack and got no
> response but it seems such things do exist already, or at least there is
> one such model, the MX3 RK3066.
>
> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MX3-Camera-8G-Android-4-1-Mini-PC-RK3066-Google-TV-Box-Player-Wifi-Bluetooth-NEW-/251254653914?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Internet_TV_Media_Streamers&hash=item3a7ff1c3da

More details on this page:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MX3-Camera-8G-Android-4-1-Mini-PC-RK3066-Google-TV-Box-Player-Wifi-Bluetooth-NEW-/121090051458

> At ~70GBP its twice the price of similar spec devices that lack the AV
> port
> and the (likely totally useless) webcam

Not totally useless. With the extension cable you can position the device
near the TV to use the TV for video chat.

> so its a bit of a risky purchase
> for me until someone confirms that the AV port works with regular ALSA.

Why wouldn't it?

If the audio driver is supported it will "just work"(tm)

If there is a bug it will be quickly fixed so it seems there is no risk
involved at all.

> Should the temptation to get one of these overcome anyone, please let me
> know how you get on with the AV out under Picuntu (or whatever non-Android
> Linux distro you may install on it). If it works I suspect I won't be able
> to resist the novelty factor.

Looks like a very cheap way to build a complete home entertainment system.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd