[LAU] Google TV device w/ AV out

Rob lau at kudla.org
Thu May 16 14:22:24 UTC 2013

On 16/05/13 06:57, Dan MacDonald wrote:
> ALSA should work as you say but you can already get these things with 2GB
> RAM and a quad core so I think I'd prefer to wait a while longer until we
> can get one up to that spec but with an AV port.

Rather than wait for a unit with a probably-very-cheap headphone amp in it,
why not get a USB class-compliant DAC that's been designed with audio
quality in mind? If you're putting *buntu on it anyway you wouldn't need to
worry about any issues Android may have with external audio. The Dragonfly
comes to mind, though that's a little more than I'd want to spend, myself.

That said, I've been pretty happy with my dual-core MK808B, which cost me
about 50 bucks, and my TV's headphone jack. Granted I haven't tried to do
any heavy audio lifting, and with the TV involved it wouldn't be suitable
for use as a guitar effects box, etc. But you didn't mention the
applications you had in mind, so I figured I'd suggest it.

Rob