[LAU] Fwd: OT: My soundcard is attacking me!!

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri May 17 07:18:41 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-05-16 at 13:21 -0600, Bearcat Şándor wrote:
> or if the power switches off

If power is turned off e.g. by a blackout, it will cause noise and it
does harm the hardware.
If audio gear should be powered off, then you need to take the
consequences, you can add a little bit of protection by muting, but
turning electronic gear on or off always will harm the gear. When
turning an amp on, some amps protect speakers by a delay, the spike
anyway does happen and harm the amp.

There even is noise by the outputs of professional audio cards, if you
power of the computer.

IOW there's nothing you can do, but black magic.