[LAU] RME BabyFace question

dianoux dianoux at isir.upmc.fr
Fri May 17 07:57:29 UTC 2013

Hello,

thank you very much for your kind reply, I will try to be
more specific;

I'm using the old LTS Ubuntu (10.4 Lucid Lynx).
I saw
here http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16104:

_"SINCE
FIRMWARE 200 THE BABYFACE OPERATES IN THREE DIFFERENT MODES:
DRIVER-BASED USB 2, STAND-ALONE MODE, AND CLASS COMPLIANT MODE. THE
LATTER DESCRIBES A STANDARD THAT IS NATIVELY SUPPORTED BY OPERATING
SYSTEMS LIKE WINDOWS, MAC OSX AND LINUX. NO PROPRIETARY DRIVERS ARE
REQUIRED, THE DEVICE WILL BE DIRECTLY RECOGNIZED WHEN CC MODE IS
ACTIVATED. OBVIOUSLY, NATIVE FEATURES WILL BE LIMITED IN COMPARISON TO
THOSE PROVIDED BY THE RME DRIVER SET. FOR EXAMPLE THERE WILL BE NO
(TOTAL) MIX AND NO EFFECTS._"
(as Clemens said)

 It should allow the
BabyFace to work with Linux without specific driver, just as generic
AD/DA converter (whiwh is exactly what I want).

 Eventually I followed
the instructions
here
http://www.rme-audio.de/download/cc_mode_babyface_e.pdf without
success.

Here is what shows up after a dmesg command (at the end):

[
3589.920289] usb 1-7.2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and
address 11
[ 3590.030407] usb 1-7.2: config 1 has an invalid descriptor
of length 0, skipping remainder of the config
[ 3590.031021] usb 1-7.2:
configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

I then saw here that ALSA seems
to have a bug:
http://www.mail-archive.com/alsa-user@lists.sourceforge.net/msg28935.html

Unfortunately,
after the change I had this message coming with the dmesg:

[
54.310238] usb 1-7.2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and
address 6
[ 54.420381] usb 1-7.2: config 1 has an invalid descriptor of
length 0, skipping remainder of the config
[ 54.420975] usb 1-7.2:
configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[ 54.480227] usbcore: registered
new interface driver snd-usb-audio

As a test I listen to the headphone
out of the BabyFace but I never heard anything so far.

Would you have
any clue?

>> Someone told me that it's possible but so far I couldn't
find how.

> Your kernel must be new enough.

Do know how new it has to
be?