[LAU] Google TV device w/ AV out

Dan MacDonald allcoms at gmail.com
Fri May 17 09:08:36 UTC 2013

I looked into these devices a bit more last night. It seems Picuntu (which
is based upon Ubuntu 12.10 and still in beta) currently only supports the
dual-core RK3066 devices and I failed to find any success stories of people
having got Ubuntu (or any non-Android Linux) to install on the quad core
RK3188s.

Picuntu doesn't yet include the Mali GPU drivers but there are instructions
available for installing the Mali drivers which apparently brings you
accelerated 2D and OGLES2 under xorg. However, its the VPU which handles
video playback accel and I'm not sure this is working yet for the RK3066.

Another pitfall is the wifi/bt chipsets as, having a read through forums
for these devices, it would seem not all the wifi chipsets are supported by
Picuntu yet so thats another thing to look out for before anyone takes the
plunge and buys one.