[LAU] replaying prepared backing tracks

steve steve at kingswayelec.co.uk
Tue May 21 09:29:25 UTC 2013

Sent from Samsung tabletJoel Roth <joelz at pobox.com> wrote:steve wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> For some time I have been preparing backing tracks using Ardour 2/3 etc. Mixing down to mp3 for live performance. We are having reliability problems during playback.
>
> I have tried my netbook (Tosh nb200) my tablet (Samsung 10.1) & an ipad(not to hand, not mine)
>
> The playback fails at random point (if at at) & will often then replay satisfactorily. The mp3s are created on a 64bit machine using Ubuntu studio as the base setup & converted to mp3 in Audacity on the same machine.
>
> I am lead to the belief that it is not the playback machine athough not completely due to the randomness.
>
> My thoughts are:-
>
>  mp3 conversion
>  mp3.
>  64bit conversion
>
> Doesn't need to be mp3. flaac would be my choice. it does need to be fast loading with random access (tablet is ideal). Don't mind spending money.

You don't mention what players are subject to this
stopping.

Since you have all your mp3 material already, why not
try all of the half-dozen mp3 players available?
I've always had good luck with mplayer, but there
is vlc, and even ffmpeg (or avconv as it's being rebranded)
can play mp3 files.

I've always found .wav file playback to be more stable than
mp3, and seeking behavior is better. The processor doesn't have
to do much, at the cost of storing a bit more data (One
hour costs 1 GB, roughly.)

Greetings,

Joel

> Steve