[LAU] Recommendations for audio hardware

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed May 22 06:56:42 UTC 2013

Hi :)

while I encourage people to use email filters, it's an issue in this
case that definitively did lead to misunderstandings and in this case to
a wrong assumption by Flo too.

I discourage users, at the moment somebody on ALSA user mailing list, to
buy the RME HDSPe AIO and most of my claims are objective facts, less
are subjective. I don't speak against RME in general, to the contrary, I
recommended to buy other RME cards for usage with Linux, so Flo spread
wrong assumptions.

It's not ok to post private mails, so I can't post Flo's email here [1],
but I can post a mail I've written [2] that might reach clarification.

Flo, if you don't read my mails, then please don't write anything that
simply isn't true, hopefully most of your wrong assumptions were written
in the private mail and only a few are written to mailing lists.

Sorry, I don't have the time to translate it. My intension simply is to
save others, to buy hardware that doesn't work. However, I contacted my
dealer and RME to ensure that my card isn't broken and _for a last time_
regarding to this issue, I sent a request at jack-devel and alsa-user,
showing that jackd objectively doesn't start at sample rates > 48 KHz.

IMO we should point out, if hardware doesn't work, even if it's said
that it does work on other machines. Btw. today I read for the first
time that the card does work with all options available and that was
something I often ask, from time to time, when there were new kernels or
ALSA versions released.

Should we be quiet, if we have reasons to guess that a card doesn't work
and somebody does ask for experiences using this card?

Regards,
Ralf

[1]
On Wed, 2013-05-22 at 08:01 +0200, Florian Faber wrote:
> Ich habe fuer genau zwei Menschen auf diesem Planeten einen
> Filter eingerichtet, und einer davon bist Du.
> [...]
> Antworten an meine Adresse sinnlos, s.o.

[2]