[LAU] Jack vs Jack2, PulseAudio, Speech, Commandline!

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Fri May 24 00:22:22 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 23, 2013 5:04 pm, Janina Sajka wrote:
> Hi, Len:
>
> Len Ovens writes:
>>
>> On Thu, May 23, 2013 10:55 am, Janina Sajka wrote:
>>
>> > In any case, I certainly don't want pulseaudio to have access to all
>> my
>> > devices, just as I don't want jack running on the audio devices I use
>> > for Speakup and for Orca (two separate devices, unfortunately, because
>> > of driver compatibility issues).
>> >
>> > In any case, this is a moderate priority project at the moment for me,
>> > so I do spend time on it as I have time. So far I have come to believe
>> > it would be possible to restrict pulseaudio either via its
>> client.config
>> > or in udev, but I haven't tried any of this yet.
>>
>> Really simple with the GUI. I am not sure from the command line.
>> pavucontrol has a configuration tab with device profiles. Setting a
>> device
>> to off tells PA to leave it alone. It is persistent from boot to boot,
>> so
>> it must be stored in a file somewhere... looks like binary though. In
>> ~/.config/pulse/
>
> On a per user basis?
> That won't quite work for me, because I also need to avoid the part
> where pulseaudio doesn't allow sound access for a root login.
>
> I really want to go at this on a system-wide level, but then it's
> possible I don't understand pa architecture, i.e. perhaps any pa is only
> invoked user by user.

The recommended way of using PA is by session. This allows more options
and I think is more secure. To run system wide, PA has to be started at
boot time. Normally, PA is set up to auto find and grab ports, but the
config files in /etc/pulse have some commented out lines that might give
some ideas on only connecting PA to one audio IF.

I would first  look at the online docs available for PA about running it
system wide. Then put on your sysadmin hat and play. There are some man
pages included as well that may help. You are going into places beyond
what I have tried to do. You are likely to find more help on the pulse
audio mailing list than here though.

> Ah, yes. Thanks for pointing these out. Looks like pacmd is the one for
> sourcing profiles. But, where do these come from? There must be a set
> somewhere? Or, is the profile what one creates with pavucontrol?

look in /usr/share/pulseaudio/ and subdirectories.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net