[LAU] Google TV device w/ AV out

Carlos sanchiavedraz csanchezgs at gmail.com
Mon May 27 13:08:50 UTC 2013

2013/5/26 Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy at autostatic.com>:
> On 05/17/2013 11:08 AM, Dan MacDonald wrote:
>>
>> I looked into these devices a bit more last night. It seems Picuntu (which
>> is based upon Ubuntu 12.10 and still in beta) currently only supports the
>> dual-core RK3066 devices and I failed to find any success stories of
>> people
>> having got Ubuntu (or any non-Android Linux) to install on the quad core
>> RK3188s.
>>
>> Picuntu doesn't yet include the Mali GPU drivers but there are
>> instructions
>> available for installing the Mali drivers which apparently brings you
>> accelerated 2D and OGLES2 under xorg. However, its the VPU which handles
>> video playback accel and I'm not sure this is working yet for the RK3066.
>>
>> Another pitfall is the wifi/bt chipsets as, having a read through forums
>> for these devices, it would seem not all the wifi chipsets are supported
>> by
>> Picuntu yet so thats another thing to look out for before anyone takes the
>> plunge and buys one.
>

> Just bought this one:
> http://dx.com/p/beitai-d06-dual-core-android-4-1-mini-pc-google-tv-player-w-1gb-ram-4gb-rom-tf-black-207990
> Set me back another $44 ;) See how it compares to the Raspberry Pi.
>
> Jeremy

As I'm also tweaking RPi for audio, I'd be interested in the good and
bad of these little devices also.

One of the main disadvantage I see in comparision with my previous
portable FX project, which used an UMPC which had a touch screen
instead of a headless device, is that if you're constantly improving
the thing I miss a display in the thing, instead of having a TV or
similar around.
Another issue is that I have to connect an external audio card to have
a decent audio quality and RT capabilities. On the UMPC I managed to
use even the internal audio card and mic, so I only had to port this
device with me.

But that's what it is, at least for RPi.

--
Carlos sanchiavedraz
* Musix GNU+Linux