[LAU] replaying prepared backing tracks

Steve Downes steve at kingswayelec.co.uk
Mon May 27 20:54:29 UTC 2013

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 11:47:48AM +0200, Carlos sanchiavedraz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2013/5/21 steve <steve at kingswayelec.co.uk>:
> >

> > Sent from Samsung tablet
> >
> > Joel Roth <joelz at pobox.com> wrote:
> >
> > steve wrote:
> >> Hi guys,
> >>
> >> For some time I have been preparing backing tracks using Ardour 2/3 etc.
> >> Mixing down to mp3 for live performance. We are having reliability problems
> >> during playback.
> >>
> >> I have tried my netbook (Tosh nb200) my tablet (Samsung 10.1) & an
> >> ipad(not to hand, not mine)
> >>
> >> The playback fails at random point (if at at) & will often then replay
> >> satisfactorily. The mp3s are created on a 64bit machine using Ubuntu studio
> >> as the base setup & converted to mp3 in Audacity on the same machine.
> >>
> >> I am lead to the belief that it is not the playback machine athough not
> >> completely due to the randomness.
> >>
> >> My thoughts are:-
> >>
> >>  mp3 conversion
> >>  mp3.
> >>  64bit conversion
> >>
> >> Doesn't need to be mp3. flaac would be my choice. it does need to be fast
> >
> > You don't mention what players are subject to this
> > stopping.
> >
> > Since you have all your mp3 material already, why not
> > try all of the half-dozen mp3 players available?
> > I've always had good luck with mplayer, but there
> > is vlc, and even ffmpeg (or avconv as it's being rebranded)
> > can play mp3 files.
> >
> > I've always found .wav file playback to be more stable than
> > mp3, and seeking behavior is better. The processor doesn't have
> > to do much, at the cost of storing a bit more data (One
> > hour costs 1 GB, roughly.)
> >
> > Greetings,
> >
> > Joel
> >

> >> Steve
> >>

> >> Sent from Samsung tablet

> > --
> > Joel Roth

> On other devices it would be a matter of doing some tests. But for the
> moment you should be careful when using mobile devices and tablets for
> any production matter. On iPad don't know exactly at the moment, but
> on Androids you should notice that periodically there's a media
> scanner daemon that could affect any playback or erase any paused
> position hold on a player.
>
> But I think that's not your case (or at least your main problem).
> Apart from this I'm telling, I don't have issues like that.
>

> --
> Carlos sanchiavedraz
> * Musix GNU+Linux
>   http://www.musix.es

Hi Guys,

So far I re-output stereo mixes in .wav format, put them on my Android
tablet & random run them for as long as I can. It seems to be stable
in that form. I'm gradually, as time permits, adding to the list
without problems. What I'm doing is not complicated. it needs to start
on the button & keep going to the end.

I'm hoping it is now cracked.

many thanks,

Steve