[LAU] FW: audio format

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Tue May 28 22:56:25 UTC 2013

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 11:24:54PM +0200, Benoît Rouits wrote:

> I was surpised and yet seduced by the reading of the page (see
> above) relating to an audio coding format from Pierre Jocelyn.
> It is written in french. But found the idea imaginative enough to be
> worth shortly described in this list too.

It could have been funny two months ago (April 1), and if were
the first time this turned up.

Crackpot nonsense from the same Abadie Joris, Kihli Guillaume,
Pierre Jocelyn (and I wouldn't be surprised if these three turned
out to be one and the same person) who wrote the following gem,
claiming that the concept of 'frequency' is completely misguided:

  "De l'observation si nous prenons un son et que nous le plaçons
   à l'intérieur de ses fronts montants et de ses fronts descendants
   un plateau sans modifier les durées, nous ne modifions pas les
   fréquences mais nous faisons pourtant bien varier les sons."

(From <http://www.alterinfo.net/LOI-SUR-LES-SONS_a67130.html>
where you can read more similar nonsense)

In plain English: if you hard clip a signal its frequency doesn't
change but the sound does, so the concept of frequency must be
wrong. That is 'The Third Law about Sound'. I'm still trying to
grok the first two.

Ciao,

--
FA