[LAU] OT: another linux audio bashing thread on slashdot

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Nov 1 09:11:05 UTC 2013

On 10/31/2013 10:48 PM, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 09:24:41PM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> Hopefully he is mistaken. Today I try to work for child care, making
>> music, drawing etc.. Nobody who dislike it, should care for children.
>> However, I fear ... and I really fear it ... your father is right.
>
> Have you heard of the term: "Dream Job"?  That is where you get paid for
> something you love doing.
>
> I wonder if the original statement has been taken out of context. For
> example, I've heard of a phrase saying something like "don't treat your
> job as a hobby", or something along those lines.

Here's a variation on the quote mentioned above: "Don't treat your
*life* as a hobby." At one place we lived, we used to have a letter
carrier who trudged. Every bit of his body language said he *hated* his
job. He was maybe 5 years away from retirement age. We think what
happened to him is that he had dreams of doing something else, and
someone had convinced him "Get a post office job, you'll get a great
pension to support you in pursuing your dreams when you retire." But
over the years, his resentment about his job had poisoned him so much
that we very much doubt that any trace of his old dreams survived ... :-(

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community