[LAU] Out Now: The Magnetophon Sessions, by Munk!

Jeremy Jongepier jeremy at autostatic.com
Sun Nov 3 18:51:02 UTC 2013

On 11/01/2013 11:00 AM, rosea.grammostola wrote:
> On 10/28/2013 09:53 AM, rosea.grammostola wrote:
>> Munk!, a jazz/ska/funk band from Groningen, The Netherlands, has
>> released an album made with free software, The Magnetophon Sessions.
>>
>> During the hot part of summer 2013, Munk! stayed at the cultural
>> freezone Landbouwbelang in Maastricht (The Netherlands) for a week and
>> recorded seven new tracks in the unique and inspiring studio
>> Magnetophon. During the recordings we played with the whole band at
>> once, to get the most musical results. All tracks are
>> one-take-recordings, no edits where made when mixing the album.
>>
>> The Magnetophon Sessions is produced with opensource and free software
>> on GNU/Linux.
>> Most notably: Ardour2 for recording and mixing, LADSPA plugins for
>> mixing, Gimp for graphics, Lives for video art.
>>
>> Recorded & mixed by Bart Brouns at Studio Magnetophon Maastricht
>> www.magnetophon.nl <http://www.magnetophon.nl>
>>
>> Video clip Off The Chart:
>> http://www.munk050.com/
>>
>> The Magnetophon Sessions, music & artwork:
>> http://www.munk050.com/music/
>>
>> Our advise on price for the digital download would be in the range of
>> 5 -- 10 euro, but there's no minimum or maximum, so feel free, thanks
>> for your support!
>>
>> Munk!
>>

> Some feedback on the songs and the mix would be nice! :)

Hello Rosea,

Listening to it now. Sounds way too roomy for me, I barely hear any
close miked instruments. Not that it's necessary but the room in which
you recorded seems to miss some warmth and atmosphere (too much
concrete, too little wood?) so the result sounds to me like there's
lacking some low. Also the room sounds a bit too small and it seems
little or no additional reverb was used so the mix sounds a bit boxy. I
also hear some badly intonated/tuned instruments, especially the guitar.
With regard to the songs, I barely listen to jazz but I do listen to
some bands that have incorporated jazz in their pop/rock sound like
Tortoise (album: Standards), Karate (album: Unsolved) or The Mercury
Program (album: A Data Learn The Language). I highly recommend giving
those bands a listen as I have the idea Munk! is also operating within
this scope. So I favor the tracks that lean more towards pop minus the
Ska kind of tracks as I don't like Ska myself (except for The Specials).
All in all nice job!

Best,

Jeremy