[LAU] re Zoom R16

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Mon Nov 18 16:21:58 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 02:53:09PM +0800, michael noble wrote:

> That seems to contradict even my admittedly basic understanding of how
> digital audio devices work. Mixing unsynced devices for simultaneous I/O is
> asking for trouble. JACK has no inbuilt capacity for synchronizing devices,
> so you will get clock drift and as far as I know potential sample
> misalignment between what you are listening to and what you are recording.

It's perfectly possible, and without any signficant loss of quality.
Jack is configured to use one of the cards. The others become clients,
and their signals are resampled to match the rate of the 'master' card.
Zita-ajbridge will do this with a constant and repeatable latency. This
is also reported to Jack, so smart applications can compensate for it.
Remaining delay variations will be around a microsecond (with decent HW)
and be very slow.

Ciao,

--
FA