[LAU] [ANN] meters.lv2 v0.5.1

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Oct 7 23:07:26 UTC 2013

On Monday 07 October 2013 18:46:19 Jörn Nettingsmeier did opine:

> On 10/07/2013 09:59 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> The goniometer(TM) aka Stereo Phase Scope is not a jellyfish display.
> >> JF would be a surround 5.1 variation.
> >
> > Your attempt at applying a trade mark to that word is about 45 or 50
> > years late, that was the term used to describe a rotary transformer
> > used to rotate the display in color tv (NTSC days) vectorscopes first
> > built by Tektronx.
> >
> >> I was actually positively surprised how much information is displayed
> >> by a goniometer. It takes a while to learn to read it, but it's
> >> amazing.
> >
> > Yes it is.  The learning part however, does separate the wannabees
> > from the doers though.
>
> well, reading a stereo scope is not too hard really. even if you only
> pick out some obvious aspects, it's still useful.
>
> making sense of a video color vectorscope however (never seen an ntsc
> one, but i believe the pal ones have similar output)

Yes.  Pal versions I think show two burst vectors IIRC, one for each field.
At least thats what I remember after seeing one at the NAB in '79 or so.
Rather rare birds here in Never Twice Same Color land.

> seems to imply a
> pact with dark forces :-D

I don't know as I'd go that far, but it does require a basic understanding
of the theory.

One of the things I learned early on was that despite the density of skin
tone, the color itself never changed.  Lots of folks will never believe
that, but its true, the vector angle of a skin tone remains within 2 or 3
degrees from the whitest Caucasian to the blackest African.  The really
black black may not show as much amplitude, but if the camera isn't lying,
not by enough to be able to look at the scope and say that person is black.

We have had, for many years at my station, a pair of cousins who are color
blind, and did all their production work by checking it on the vectorscope.
It was right spot on moreso than the help that claimed good color vision.

> i'm quite happy that the days of analog video
> are almost over and i don't have to learn that anymore.
>
> now with SDI you get to think about eye diagrams, which is not much
> better :(

That and the constellation.  Without good performance there, you can't get
even a 100kw signal out of your shirt pocket.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names
the streets after them.
		-- Bill Vaughn
         law-abiding citizens.