[LAU] Examples of synth/drum live performance Jack setups ?

Barney Holmes djbarney at djbarney.org
Wed Oct 16 14:57:33 UTC 2013

Hello,

I'm from a DJ'ing background and prefer to play live and record tracks
by keeping everything as live as possible. Think of Richie Hawtin
using locked groove drum loop records and this kind of thing to make a
hybrid between DJ'ing and on-the-fly original track creation. I know
Ardour and Jack. I can create totally presequenced productions but
find that takes away my spontaneity. Are there examples out there of
these kind of set ups ?  I need as many examples as possible for
encouragement if nothing else. I did start using Hydrogen to drive
external drum synths, like Yoshimi that can make drum and percussion
sounds, but the Hydrogen controls are set up for altering the included
sample sets and don't do anything to the MIDI output. I suppose I'm
trying to recreate the immediacy and spontaneity that using original
hardware 808/909/sampler set ups used to be able to create. Another
example was the immediate accessibility of Propellerhead Rebith 303.
It has a good real time 303 implementation but all the percussion was
sample based, which I want to move away from. I've found creating a
drum in Yoshimi sounds *much* richer and more dynamic than samples. So
what are you using out there ? Screen shots ?

Peace

djbarney