[LAU] Examples of synth/drum live performance Jack setups ?

Harry van Haaren harryhaaren at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 16:17:24 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 3:57 PM, Barney Holmes <djbarney at djbarney.org>wrote:

> Hello,

Hey!

> I'm from a DJ'ing background and prefer to play live and record tracks by
> keeping everything as live as possible.

Good stuff, I'm pretty interested in the same things myself.

> Are there examples out there of these kind of set ups ?  I need as many
> examples as possible for encouragement if nothing else.

I'm working on a piece of software Luppp, which is a live-audio-looping
tool directed to live-performance.
Its currently not released yet (because its not ready), but its getting
quite far: Details on http://openavproductions.com/luppp

I've recently released ArtyFX, a plugin set which is also somewhat gearted
towards live performance. It contains on plugin "Masha", which provides teh
Pioneer DJM style "Roll" / stutter effect: MIDI bind it for extra fun. See
http://openavproductions.com/artyfx

> I've found creating a drum in Yoshimi sounds *much* richer and more
> dynamic than samples.

I'm interested in how you do this, and what tips you have... any chance of
a tutorial / blogpost / screencast?

> So what are you using out there ? Screen shots ?

 I'm currently looping audio with Luppp, manually drumming in a beat using
a MIDI controller and Fabla ( http://openavproductions.com/fabla ), most
melodic instruments are recorded using a mic / DI-box, and doing effects
with ArtyFX.

The workflow is quite nice, but needs some stream-lining and improvement.
Also, Luppp needs to be released: the reason I'm holding off is because
there's no use in live-performance software that *might* crash during
performance. Hence, please sit-tight, and know I'm working on it!

Cheers, -Harry