[LAU] another linux audio bashing thread on slashdot

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Oct 28 14:42:55 UTC 2013

On Monday 28 October 2013 10:22:21 michael noble did opine:

> On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 6:01 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine <
>
> alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com> wrote:
> > As any reputation management consultant will tell you, you can only
> > deal with this sort of stuff by producing tons of amazing content. So
> > the only way to deal with this is using your time wisely (read: stay
> > away from /.) and being bloody awesome :)
> >
> > Alexandre
>
> I do try to stay away for just that reason, but every now and then I
> check in. When will I learn...

I think I need to throw out that I do read /., and even post occasionally.
But one of my goto guys when I have a problem also plays a pretty mean axe
or guitar, and is fluent in both linux and windows.  His
management/editing/live session software when he is doing the majority of
such himself, like for some background for a commercial being produced
inhouse at the tv station, is Symphony.

I am not personally all that musically inclined, so I don't have an
opinion.  What little I've done, and none in the last 5 years, such as
clipping a pop out of a digitized record, has been done with the linux
tools available at the time.  The only windows allowed on the premises here
are made of glass or delrin.

But that thread on /. is best countered by quoting what you used, and a URL
to the best of what you've done.  I have found some right ear pleasing
stuff that way, and the underlying os really is a never mind.  Because
IMNSHO, the os doesn't matter, its the talent and knowledge of the tool
that counts.  And linux seems to be blessed with more than enough of that
to win most of these fan boy shootouts.

So don't run for the exits, play your best stuff instead. In other words,
bring enough gun.  IMO we do have enough gun.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Chemicals, n.:
	Noxious substances from which modern foods are made.
         law-abiding citizens.