[LAU] another linux audio bashing thread on slashdot

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Oct 28 15:13:29 UTC 2013

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 11:05 AM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:

> I have not yet looked at SteamOS, but you are claiming realtime for it.
> That  pulls my curiosity trigger because one of my hobbies is CNC
> machinery, and its realtime demands are far more stringent than some .1
> millisecond accurate audio delivery.  Currently we are running linuxcnc on
> 2.6.32-122-RTAI, but that RTAI patch is invasive as hell, [ ... ]
>
> If SteamOS is claiming real time, just how "realtime" is it?

There is no comparing  even the RT kernel with RTAI. They are totally
different conceptions. RTAI is basically a microkernel that runs a normal
kernel as a client. It requires drivers for every device that is included
in "realtime land" (i.e. for audio, you cannot use ALSA, you would need new
drivers that run in the RT executive.

SteamOS *might* use the RT kernel, but I'd be incredibly surprised if they
even considered RTAI.

--p

(disclaimer: i haven't looked at RTAI for quite a long time, things might
have changed)