[LAU] another linux audio bashing thread on slashdot

Barney Holmes djbarney at djbarney.org
Tue Oct 29 18:18:41 UTC 2013

Quoting Louigi Verona <louigi.verona at gmail.com>:

> Those guys should check out my album, this is exactly why I made it - to
> promote Linux Audio and to show that you can do this kind of music on it:
> http://www.louigiverona.ru/?page=projects&s=music&t=another_reality

Hello. This is great ! Reminds me of my copy of "trancentral four a
trip to goa. In the mix with Tsuyoshi Suzuki", Doof, Bass Chakra, etc

http://www.discogs.com/Tsuyoshi-Suzuki-Trancentral-Four-A-Trip-To-Goa/master/45007

I notice music productions rarely contain logo's of services and/or
applications used to produce them, but films and video games do ...
Nvidia and Avid logo's !

Here is my "review" of your album keeping Linux audio use in mind.

Note I was listening to this with an ear attuned to the production
techniques and mastering heard on places like Proton Radio -
http://protonradio.com/ - and recent mixes such as The Konstrukt by
Danny Oliveira a talented Miami/Brazilian DJ/Producer -
https://soundcloud.com/dnyo/sets/the-konstrukt

Elementary Waves ... problem with intro. not as high quality as later
on in the track, but gets good ~3:30 minutes where you start using the
sample.

A note here. 303 and Distortion ? Distortion filter can make a massive
difference to the 303 sound. The 303 in Rebirth could do some REALLY
strange things, don't know how that compares to a real 303 because
I've never used one, but plan to get a 303 clone -
http://greatsynthesizers.com/en/general-en/2013/03/bass-bot-tt-303-the-new-roland-tb-303/

Another reality. Nice use of synth !

Production in this one - this is gonna be honest, but please remember
I'm taking something in isolation here, and only this track.
Percussion sounds are too regimented (think of those bad MIDI demo's
that come with some software) and need to be made more dynamic, richer
and randomised - see blog post -
http://djbarney.wordpress.com/2013/10/27/generating-synthesised-drums-and-percussion-in-linux-using-yoshimi/

Incredible Things - hey breakbeat ! Again there's some fine detail and
depth missing in the breakbeat. But this track sounds nicely upbeat
with good use of sample and composition.

Solar Traveller - hang on, this break beat is MUCH better. You should
probably look into exactly why that is, and keep on doing it. Rolling !

Seaside - sorry got distracted when listening to this one. I'll go
back to this later.

North Pole - I can hear this one being played on Proton Radio -
http://protonradio.com/ - and it would stand up nicely amongst all the
other tracks.

Acid Astronautic - love the 303 in this, very spacey. Goa Trance. the
drum/percussion could maybe be a bit more dynamic or randomised but
that may just be my own personal listening tastes.

Uranium - this is a good rich sounding 303 line that starts this. This
is the best one. This should be first track on your album if you ask
me. It really sounds like it could have been produced on Mac, Windows
or Linux, or a recording studio.

Was thinking some more about this. I think in a lot of track
production the trick is the final mix down and mastering that gives
everything that "silky smooth" sound. It's a work of art like a
painting, a well designed building or a cordon blue/Gourmet meal -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gourmet

Thanks for your album ! This is exactly where I am heading at the
moment. I want to produce quality dance music that will enhance
people's life's and help them. I started thinking of producing music
to be much like starting a good bakery. If it tastes and smells good
then it will sell. If I start putting the Linux logo on my releases,
well I don't know yet ;) You have also inspired me to look at modular
synths (Linux of course) for modelling the 303 sounds, and building
the PCF filter in Propellerhead Rebirth which I've never seen anything
else do. There are circuit diagrams available for the 303 which can be
worked from. I'll also check out Nekobee :)

DJ Barney