[LAU] WX5 MIDI mapping

Tim E. Real termtech at rogers.com
Mon Sep 2 08:23:36 UTC 2013

On September 2, 2013 10:57:48 AM Milan Lazecky wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am sorry for a beginner question, but your advice would be helpful..
>
> I have an electronic saxophone, Yamaha WX5.
>
> I use with MIDI->USB, using Qsynth (through jack), the sound is working
> well, but every time I try to record midi footage, using either rosegarden
> or ardour3, the midi record is:
>
> - in strange tones (the melody is there, but notes are transposed for +32 or
> -32) (note that using Qsynth, or connecting with virtual keyboard, the notes
> are ok...)
>
> - when I try to transpose the recorded melody to normal scale, it doesn't
> play anything (yes, I map some midi instrument there, but it seems like if
> there is some strange volume=0 was set, or I don't know - but I haven't
> found a way to set it to other values)
>

> I know it is very messy question. But maybe you know what is wrong in my
> case.. maybe to try another software, or I miss some settings there?
>
> Thank you very much.
>

> Milan

Hello.
Nice controller, congratulations!
Let's see if we can get you rockin'...

First let me get an obvious question out of the way, although it
 sounds like there's no problem here:
Do you know the WX5 works properly with some known setup?
In particular, is it possible that the Octave buttons have had liquid
 spillage or sweat, such that they are intermittently changing your octave?

Try MusE. It is similar to Rosegarden, or Cakewalk on Windows.

By default MusE is set up to get the user recording soon.
When you create a midi track, by default it will record all events,
 from all channels, on all input devices.
Later, you learn how to refine it to record from specific devices but
 not others.

Like any app, it's up to whatever output device you choose, to playback
 the recording, whether it uses the specific controllers or not.
In MusE you set a midi track's 'output device'.
If a QSynth instance is running, it should show as an available output device.

Or, you can create a FluidSynth MESS Synthesizer Device track and assign the
 midi track to it. Yes, MusE has its own built-in FluidSynth plugin. A GUI
 will popup where you can load SoundFonts, make settings and so on.
To see an example, simply start MusE and click File -> New and open the
 Template named 'synti.med'. You can change synth type, save as and so on.
Also try different SoundFonts, or other synthesizer types: MusE supports
 MESS, DSSI, and Win/Linux VST synths. We do pass all controllers to
 these synths so if the synth supports it, it should work.
Ultimately, we allow mapping of midi controllers (breath etc) to track
 parameters such as 'track audio volume'. So this is yet another option that
 should work, no matter what built-in synthesizer is used.

OK, now arm the midi track, and arm the transport, hit transport play and
 start recording.

MusE will automatically detect and record all controller data, such as breath,
 as well as any played notes.
The WX5 can send velocity data (and MusE records it) but Yamaha
 recommends setting constant velocity and using the breath controller
  for volume, which MusE will record.

After recording hit transport stop.
You should see some newly recorded part(s) on the track.

Open a part by double-clicking on it, or via menu options.
You should see your recorded notes. And you can edit them.
Also in the editor you'll see some buttons for viewing the recorded
 controller graphs (Ctrl, S, X). If anything was recorded, the particular
 controllers should  show up in the list of available controller graphs
 (the Ctrl button).

Hopefully your data graphs are there.
Upon playback, the chosen output device can respond to them.

So... If the weird notes problem persists, please save and send me the
 resultant recording (*.med file). I'll take a look. Ask if any other help
 needed.

Tim.