[LAU] mastering dilemma

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Sep 5 19:02:12 UTC 2013

Hi Brent,

On Thu, 2013-09-05 at 13:07 -0500, Brent Busby wrote:
> with less cutting around 120-180Hz than most CD's seem to have

That does sound like a HiFi bass tone control pot usually at around 100
Hz is cutting the bass ;), but I don't know what CDs and CD player you
own.

> I don't think I have any instruments in my whole studio that
> could produce sound so anemic in the low mids as what I hear on CD's
> without *lots* of cut

I guess you are speaking about "music" made with virtual synth. Sure,
absolutely no virtual synth can compare to vintage synth that use CEM
(Curtis) chips.

> 2)  To figure out why I would want that.  On most decent speakers, it
> seems to sound thin and lack authority.  It's terrible having to cater
> to the lowest common denominator.

And why do you want/need to do that?

> Anyone else have this problem?  Ever wish you could turn up those low
> mids just a little bit more and get some power underneath?

Just for my record player, since I wasn't able to pay for a new stylus
in the last years and I'm still using crappy Audio-Technica replacement.
However, you can't boost what's not there. I read that even a lot of the
old music was remastered, fortunately I own lot of LPs that even don't
have a bar code. Many of the young rock musicians (half as old as I am)
today record on analog tapes, playing original Mellotrons etc., so I
suspect you're listening to other music than I do.

Regards,
Ralf