[LAU] M/S EQ in Linux

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Tue Sep 10 10:15:44 UTC 2013

On 09/10/2013 12:42 AM, Brent Busby wrote:
> I've been looking for a way to try mid/side EQ in Linux.  The
> documentation for the Calf plugins implies they can
> (http://calf.sourceforge.net/plugins.html#filter), but never says how.
> Also, I don't see anything in the GUI that would allow you to toggle mid
> versus side versus whole mix.
>
> Are mid/side EQ tricks possible with the Calf plugins, or any other way
> on Linux?

insert the stereo-to-ms plugin from swh in your original stereo bus.
feed the result into two buses M and S. insert processing as required,
collect them in another 2 channel bus and re-matrix them with the
ms-to-stereo plugin.

it's a bit involved to do it like this. but look at it this way: while
you're setting it up, you get some free time to reflect whether MS
processing is really worth it :)

it should be noted that any form of MS processing only makes sense in
complex stereo signals with some degree of decorrelation. it can be a
great tool for mastering if you don't have the original stems (if you
do, fix the problem upstream!), and it allows some control over the
direct vs. diffuse field image of stereo microphone pairs. for anything
else (like pan-potted mono sources), it does not buy you anything at all.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net