[LAU] M/S EQ in Linux

Brent Busby brent at keycorner.org
Wed Sep 11 20:06:57 UTC 2013

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013, Fons Adriaensen wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 01:26:49PM -0500, Brent Busby wrote:
>
>> My suspicion is that although one doesn't want to squash the
>> peaks too much, there's still something about my track that is just
>> too spiky to engage the woofers of some stereos until the volume is
>> way up
>
> This is getting out of control. What on earth is meant by 'engage the
> woofers' ? Trick them into producing some sound ? Psychology,
> marketing, sexual attraction or brainwashing ?

Sorry about my poor terminology.  You can probably intuit what I meant
though (hopefully).

> Unless it's designed to produce lots of distortion, a playback system
> is linear. If you give it 1/10 of the signal, it will produce 1/100 of
> the power. If your mix sounds thin and lacking bass when reproduced on
> small speakers and/or at low levels, it just needs more low frequency
> energy, i.e. a different mix. That has nothing at all to do with how
> 'spiky' it is (whatever that means) or with 'squashing' peaks or
> whatever.

Actually what I'm suspecting here is that this particular stereo's
dynamic response *isn't* linear, at least not in regard to bass.  It
seems to almost act as though the bass is reacting with more dynamic
range than what is actually there, at least with reference to other
playback systems.  Sorry if that's totally wrong, but that's just what I
think I'm seeing.

+ Sr. UNIX Systems Admin +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ James Franck Institute +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ Materials Research Ctr +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky