[LAU] mastering dilemma

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Sep 13 05:33:13 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-09-12 at 12:31 -0700, Len Ovens wrote:
> there are also some stereo preamps where the "loudness" if turned on
>
> This was before digital came along in preamp signal chains, newer ones may
> be doing a sliding loudness against level thing.

Good point! To funny, I'm using such an amp, but doesn't use the amp's
automagical EQ.

For my Pioneer amp there is no loudness switch, but a switch to bypass
the EQ, named "direct". If the EQ isn't bypassed, than the EQ does
effect the signal more at low levels, than at loud levels. However, even
if the EQ is in 0 (neutral) position, the sound is manipulated. My amp
is an old analog amp and this "sliding loudness against level thing" is
a PITA.

FWIW my amp is not a good amp, but it anyway can be used for mastering.
In addition to the speakers I use headphones and listen to the
headphones by using the amp, the mixer and the card, this gives an
impression about the biased signal.

In a home studio we can have the best amps and speakers and anyway could
experience issues. Unlikely that there is a chance to position the
speakers correct, at least I can't do it in my too small music room.
This doesn't mean that mastering has to be less good than done in a
professional studio, it just takes much more time.